Thursday, January 3, 2013

P.O.S.- We Don't Even Live Here (2012)

Yo ya'll. It has been a hot minute since I did a Ninko post up in here; mostly that is due to the overwhelming amount of amazing math coming from all of our various contributors, and although this is a pretty direct destination for your math rock needs, I feel like spreading a little astray goodness up in these parts.

P.O.S. has just recently caught my attention, as I have read a few "top 20 albums" lists that have cited his 4th release, We Dont Even Live Here, as one of the best of the year. Before these year-end lists, I had seen glowing reviews of this album, but had only until recently checked the singles instead of the whole.

New Years Eve, I was about to head out on a 20 minute drive to a party and wanted some new music for the ride, so I found my way to this album, and I have not stop listening to it since. It meets all my criteria for good hiphop: it is well written, well produced, and smooth as hell. It starts off aggressively with a one-two combo of swaggering intimidation in opening tracks Bumper and its excellent follow up and single, Fuck Your Stuff, but then in comes How We Land, which is what really caught my attention. It reminded me of a combination of Brendan from Gruvis Malt singing over some Outkast rhymes and production. Its full of hooks, great flows, and a very well placed vocal breakdown featuring some dude you might know from Some Band. Check it here:



Do check it. Further listening leads to the other single from the album, Get Down, as well as his 2001 debut in the group Cenospecies: their self titled is Here.

we dont even live here

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite rappers, a beacon of creativity in a desolate landscape of unoriginality

    ReplyDelete