Sunday, January 23, 2011

Malegoat

Alt. math emo rock

This is an extremely tight group that really displays not only a large level of technicality but also good structure and great melody. The vocals are usually shouted melodically as well. As a matter of personal opinion the japanese math groups just seem way tighter than our own. High energy is great to see as a lot of the newer groups seem far too sleepy to me. This group gets compared endlessly to Algernon Cadwallader....what a lazy comparison. They are almost nothing alike other than they both are fond of odd time changes. Malegoat comes out on top always.





 Plan Infiltration

To Face the Music

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever encountered a Japanese band that I would consider "loose". I think we've talked about how that can be pretty annoying at times, but average level of technical musicianship is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we have certainly had that conversation. There are pros and cons to almost anything musical in nature. If I had to make an uneducated guess as to why this would be it could be that in general japan has felt behind musically in the past and while untrue in todays day and age I've always felt that permeate to much of their music. We on the other hand still have a case of the 80's punk rock where "good enough" gets carried to many styles. Again let me reiterate that I am in no way claiming to have any more than basic music history knowledge and these are of course vast generalizations I travel in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll follow up your vast generalization with half-assed sociological theorizing. I actually believe much of it stems from the overall pervasive tendency towards "copying", whereby Japanese culture leans towards revision and reiteration rather than pure innovation. Of course, it's not like America or wherever is "pure innovation", but it's simply an overt quality that is encountered in much of Japanese industry and art as a result of Japanese society basically having to reboot itself after World War 2. It's why Murakami basically just writes the same book again and again.

    ReplyDelete