Monday, August 8, 2011

Polaris - "Family" (2004)

Have I got a treat for you!

Well, only sort of.

Polaris is a Japanese band that's uh... quite dissimilar from everything else we post on here. I can't find too much information about them, though I know they're rather prolific. They apparently formed in the last decade after the dissolution of a group called Fishmans, continuing on with that band's style of dub-influenced pop. "Family" is maybe their 3rd album, but again, I'm not too sure, as information in English is sparse. Oftentimes it sounds like an aggressive mash of Jamiroquai and the Dave Matthews Band. And yeah, I know, that's like the musical equivalent of synthesizing AIDS and cancer.

But somehow it still works. Give it a chance, even if the first couple tracks don't stick.

Polaris - "Family" (2004)

(Note - Apparently this album just got remastered and re-released in June of this year. This is NOT that version.)

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Where'd you find this? I love Fishmans and Polaris but I haven't been able to find much music on the net by either of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live in Japan and did my best to pick up any random album that caught my interest.

    Glad to know someone appreciates this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'm really into this actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah the sick Polaris action. You gots to post their follow-up, somehow. I think the title is completely in japanese, but i have it (from you metaghost) and its just as sick as Family.

    ReplyDelete