Friday, November 29, 2013

Night Idea - "Ocho the Cat" (2011) ; "Paths" (2013)


I have to admit, I'm a bit of a fan of Playful/Jazz/Math such as Our Daily Fix or Monster Machismo. Now while these men come no where close to the technicality of those two bands, they successfully capture that playful jazz sound that I've come to love so much. A lot of the songs are hit or miss for me on their first album, vocals really only showing up on the less mathy songs. They focus less on tapping and more on the time signatures themselves.(The two tracks that really get me here are Ocho and Open Mind.)

The next part of their discography, consisting of the "Paths" EP, is pleasantly a lot more mathy. Although it seems that somewhere in the process they ended up sacrificing most of their jazz sound for something a little bit more post-rock sounding. Which isn't a bad thing, but it isn't my cup of tea.

(I've notice them being talked about on the swords every once in awhile, specifically on the post about Brother Rutherfrord, but they were never given a proper write up. ) Overall I think its a good listen and both albums are worthy of your time.

Ocho the Cat
Paths

No comments:

Post a Comment